Tale of Two Countries and a Virus


This evening I reached Pune , India from Nashville, USA via Newark & Mumbai. A physician by education and a Healthcare IT consultant by profession, I have first hand experienced the healthcare systems of both countries from close quarters. And I am borderline worried by the (in) different attitudes, weird experiences and sights across cities and systems . 

Let me begin by stating that I believe this outbreak can be contained if everyone takes necessary measures before they seem necessary.  Prevention is always , always, always better . 

I booked my tickets such that I am at minimal risk of exposure during the journey . So I consciously avoid travel options via Boston and New Delhi given high volumes of positive cases reported from these cities . I prefer to book a direct flight instead of one halting anywhere in Europe . As luck would have it , a mid-air technical snag brings us back to crowded indifferent Newark for an unscheduled lay over of over 8 plus hours. I smile at my luck and go full ninja on soap and sanitiser. 

I travelled with a basic mask throughout my journey. Looking at me in my mask, folks in the US were convinced “you are over reacting - it’s just the flu - every election year we see something like this .“  I met a couple travelling to India coz the ticket prices dropped ! WHO’s declaration of a pandemic be damned ! Back in India , people are openly mocking me before they cynically go “ we have survived worse-this too shall pass !” 

The Administrative  attitude at the airports in the US appeared nonchalant . Pandemic- What pandemic ? I don’t remember answering any questions on my travel history , my health status , nothing at either of the two transit airports. Let’s assume they got their answers from my documents. 

The airline that was supposed to bring me to India was mandated to do a secondary visa status check before we onboarded the flight to India. The hassled staff member , visibly upset at the last minute new directive coming in from the government vigorously scribbled something on my boarding pass- I don’t remember him checking my passport . I assumed he had some details in his system and walked in to the flight. 

After an exhausting 45 hour journey, instead of returning home directly from the airport,  I try to procure disinfectant wipes or alternatives to clean my luggage before I carry it inside the doors of my home , to ageing parents .  The stats around the virus’ effect on elders worry me. My cab driver is more worried about the traffic he will endure, the latter he drops me. I try and ignore his mocking grin at every store I return empty handed from. 

Pharmacists , meanwhile , tried to sell me baby-arse wipes and fabric masks at ridiculous prices . I call a senior Practicing MD physician for his recommendation on any over the counter product that will work as an option here . To my utter disappointment, Doctor Sahab says , and I quote ,” When such things happen I have no clue what to do, we have received no directives on what to advise people , I honestly don’t know what will help .!! “ I persist, he vaguely suggests trying hand sanitisers. I walk out of the store with a big bottle of ethanol &  a roll of cotton mumbling a prayer for him and his patients . 

Having closely seen our health system from close quarters I firmly believe the Time to act is now - before the system gets over whelmed . The Govt of India’s decision to restrict traveller entry was on point ! The extra ordinary measures being taken at the Indian airports are phenomenal. Mandatory thermal screenings for all incomings . The on-ground immigration , health screening teams and support staff were quick , helpful & efficient . Advisories so clear and all over . I must confess, I was worried the administrative  apparatus back in India was going to let me down . The Modi government’s swift decisions will prove to be the highlight of how our country is attempting to contain & slam the brakes on the pandemic. 

This evening I started coughing  & there is a itch in my nose and throat , no fever yet. I am not being paranoid here , I can’t fake a running nose . Friends and family want to convince me the symptoms are just a seasonal / travel effect . Apparently Pune has been oscillating between low temperature mornings and super high temperature afternoons. I am acutely aware of the state of affairs at the Naidu public hospital, the city’s designated quarantine facility . I mutter another round of prayers, this time for myself , as I self isolate myself and everything I brought back (and lots of soap) in my room . I will take care of myself , for folks around me. I resort to warm saline gargles , turmeric lattes ;-) ... I mean haldi wala doodh, homeopathy and Coldplay !

Maybe I am being over cautious. I prefer to err on the side of caution and am low key frustrated that everyone I  am speaking to , tells me I am over reacting . People , please be willing to over-react. If not for your self , for loved ones around you . I , for one , don’t want to be the one who brought this home .

PostScript : The US government has now declared a National Emergency in response to the outbreak.  Phew !

Popular posts from this blog

My beautiful White Vitiligo.

India’s fight against COVID-19 : Virus to Vaccine & beyond.

Vaccination : An extreme sport in Pune, India